Minnesota winters can take a toll on your roof. Extreme temperatures, heavy snow, and the freeze-thaw cycle can be detrimental to your roof’s structure, causing ice dams, leaks, or even collapse. This is why performing a regular roof inspection each Spring is so important. All Elements can handle these inspections for you, but if you’d prefer to do it on your own, we’ve come up with a handy checklist for you to follow.
A thorough Spring roof inspection should:
- Pay particular attention to the perimeter areas of the roof as well as the flashings, where the wall and roof intersect.
- Check for damage from severe winter weather.
- Look for evidence of standing water or “ponding”
Elements to focus on:
- Roof covering
- Roof edging/fascia
- Roof penetrations
- Expansion joint covers
- Roof drains
- Pitch pans
- Lightning protection systems
- Supporting Structures
- Interior walls and ceilings (look for water stains, cracks, and settling of foundation walls)
Follow these maintenance practices to maintain roof integrity:
- Keep roof clean and free of debris
- Keep drainage systems clear and functional
- Keep adjacent trees trimmed
- Make repairs to areas with standing water
- Limit penetrations of the roof system
- Monitor sloped roofs with overhangs for ice dams and add attic insulation as needed
- Train maintenance personnel on roof construction and related ongoing maintenance needs
- Restrict roof access to authorized personnel only
As you inspect your roof, keep in mind that if something doesn’t look right, it probably isn’t. If you are unsure, feel free to take photos of your roof and send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and contact information. We’re happy to advise you on whether something needs repair or not.
Regular roof inspections reduce the need for emergency repairs and can stop small problems from becoming big ones. In milder climates you can get by with less frequent inspections, but never ignore this important task. A roof is a big investment, and anything you can do to improve its lifespan and performance is worth it. Make seasonal roof inspections part of your preventive maintenance program.
Contact All Elements to schedule your spring roof inspection. Dates are already filling up, so give us a call today!